The Township of South Algonquin offers weekly roadside household collection. In most areas pick up could be anytime between 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on the scheduled day of your pickup. The Township tries to maintain the same daily schedule; however there may be circumstances when it is required to change the daily schedule.
The fall/winter waste collection calendar was sent to all post offices boxes within Whitney, Madawaska and to South Algonquin residents having post office boxes in Lake St. Peter, and Barry's Bay. If you are in any of these areas and are not receiving the waste collection calenders please speak to your Post Master. The spring/ summer calendars are included with the Interim Tax Bills, which is mailed to all property owners. The link to the most recent Waste Collection Calendar is also available at the bottom of this page.
The Township has two local Landfill Sites
- For residents in the Dickens, Lyell, Murchison wards area visit 6319 Highway 523
- For residents in Airy and Sabine wards area visit 462 Nipissing Road
Our waste management operations are governed by the Certificate of Approval issued by the Ministry of Environment.
Once a year, generally in August the Township offers a Household Hazardous Waste Day. Please continue to check this site for next event.
Recycle, Reuse, Reduce
WE RECYCLE: Electronics----Tires-----Steel----Appliances----Aluminum----Batteries (up to 5kg each)----Cell Phones
WE DIVERT: Clean Wood - Only brush, unpainted or untreated wood may be deposited in the brush area.
WE REUSE: Items suitable for reuse may be placed in the Reuse Area.
WE REDUCE-SHREDDING: Most waste that is not Hazardous, Household, Clean Wood, Reusable or Recyclable may be deposited in the Shredding Pile. Please do not dispose food in the Shredding Pile.
WE REDUCE-FURNITURE: Furniture & mattresses may be deposited in the Furniture Pile.
Please see the Landfill Site Attendant prior to disposing material to ensure proper location for disposal.
The Provincial Government has instructed existing waste programs to transfer to a Producer Responsibility Model for Tires, Batteries, Electrical Waste and Electronic Equipment, Municipal Hazardous/ Special Waste and Blue Box programs.
This means that companies that design, create and market products will be responsible for managing and paying for their products and packaging for the full life of the item.
What does this means for the Township of South Algonquin?
• Tire program has transitioned to the new model, residents should bring tires to the landfills, there are no tipping fees associated.
• Battery program has transitioned, most types of batteries are accepted and can be disposed of at the landfill sites. Car batteries can be disposed at to our annual Household Hazardous Waste Day.
• Electronics program has transitioned to the new model, residents should bring electronics to the landfills, there are no tipping fees associated. Under the new model more items are accepted fo example microwaves, all small kitchen appliances, vacuums, televisions, electronic toys etc.
• Municipal Hazardous and Special Waste Program is set to transition on July 1, 2021. This is the program that handles our annual Household Hazardous Waste Day.
• The future transition to the Producer Responsibility Model is ongoing. If you’re interested in learning more about the changes, this website is a good resource, https://rpra.ca
Staff continue to engage in this process to ensure that we are able to take advantage of new programs as they become available to us.
Landfill Site Hours of Operation:
October 21, 2020 to March 31, 2021
- Wednesday 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday 8:00 a.m - 12:00 noon
CLOSED Saturday, December 26, 2020
OPEN Sunday, December 27, 2020
PLEASE SEE DOCUMENTS BELOW REGARDING USE OF THE LANDFILL SITES DURING THE PANDEMIC
Please take all waste to the landfill sites during operational hours.
Please note as per By-Law #19-588 there is a $5.00 per piece charge for mattresses, box springs and fabric covered furniture with metal frames or springs e.g. couches, loveseats, and sofa chairs.
Construction & Demolition (including shingles), Brush and Wood Chips.
Half ton truck/van with or without a small trailerSorted $5* / Unsorted $20
Large TrailerSorted $30 / Unsorted $120
Single AxleSorted $50 / Unsorted $200
TandemSorted $80 / Unsorted $320
TriaxleSorted $120 / Unsorted $500
Tires without rims No Charge
Mattresses, box springs and fabric covered furniture $5/piece
with metal frames (couches, loveseats, sofa chairs etc.)
Contaminated Soil (pre-approval required) $30/tonne plus cost recovery
Landfill site entry during non-operation hours
First entry (pre-approval required)$100 each
Additional same day entry (from time of first entry to last)$30/hr
* Residents are exempt from this fee if it is brought in by the resident
** Residents are exempt from this fee for a registered vessel with proof of ownership and for vessels rated less than 10hp if it is brought in by the resident.
Vessel Tipping Fees
There is a $5.00 per foot fee for the disposal of vessel hulls that qualify for disposal in the Construction and Demolition waste area. Residents disposing of registered vessels are exempt from the fee with proof of ownership and residents disposing canoes or small vessels that are rated less than 10hp will also be exempt from the fee. All hulls must be emptied of other material prior to disposal and are subject to inspection by the Landfill Site Attendant who will determine applicable fees and their acceptance or rejection for the disposal at the site.
Illegal Dumping of Waste
Illegal Dumping of waste is a highly visible problem and is an environmental crime. Small bags to larger scale items that is deposited/tipped/dumped onto land or into water where no licence or approval exists is considered illegal dumping.
Waste deposited anywhere other than landfill sites will be considered illegal dumping and is subject to fines up to $5,000.00 as per By-Law 16-517.
Waste Management Documents
- Waste Collection Calendar November 2020 to March 20212020-10-21
- Schedule of Fees By-Law 20-6192020-06-12
- Landfill Site Public Notice 2020-04-03
- Instructions for Use of Landfill Site2020-04-03
- Waste Management By-Law 16-5172017-02-14